Sunday, June 8, 2014

Seven


Seven by Jen Hatmaker. This book has wrecked me.

Most of you have probably at least heard about this book. If not its about how the author Jen Hatmaker took 7 months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern- day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence.

7 areas of excess: food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, spending, stress.

 I have avoided the book like the plague for the last 2 years since I saw it advertised in my Lifeway mail out. I thought to myself : NOWAY am I reading that book. That girl is crazy. But being my sweet self I told a friend that I thought SHE should read it. I know, I know. I'm the best kind of friend.  I thought I'm good. I don't have a problem with excess. I appreciate what I have. I'm good. Well apparently God thought otherwise. Every time I saw this book in the store I literally had to get away from it as fast as I could. It's like it was taunting me. In the past couple of months the hubby & I (mostly the hubby) have been talking about having a simpler life. How we don't need all the excess and we should be happy with what we have. Mind you at this point I am still in the mindset of "I'm good." But I have to agree with him that a simple life sounds good compared to what feels like the crazy life that we live. In the past few weeks its like this book has been every where for some reason. On facebook,  a friends book list, a picture of a friend reading this very book, until finally I broke. I thought to myself...Ok. Ok. I will read the book. I downloaded a sample and was instantly hooked. This girl IS crazy but in a makes you want to be crazy too kinda way. I immediately when to my local book store and bought the paper back version because I'm a nerd and wanted to be able to highlight and write in the book. I have only finished chapter one and I am wrecked. Yes I am wrecked but in a way that only God can wreck you. I felt I should share this in case any of you wanted to be wrecked too. I will keep you updated as I read through the rest of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment